African Peanut Stew

Notifications
Clear all

African Peanut Stew  

RSS
kateroberts47
(@kateroberts47)
Active Member gmh-mod

From The Fresh & Healthy Instant Pot Cookbook by Megan Gilmore  (slightly modified)

Contributed by:  Deborah Merriman

<span style="text-decoration: underline;">African Peanut Stew</span>

1 T olive oil

1 yellow onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic (or 1 T chopped garlic from a jar)

2 T minced ginger (or 2 T ginger puree from squeeze tube; or a 2-inch knob of fresh ginger)

1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (I use 2 sweet potatoes)

One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes

½ cup all-natural peanut butter

2 tsp sea salt

½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (I use 1 tsp to make it spicier)

¼ cup quinoa, or red quinoa (I use ½ cup red lentils instead of quinoa)

3 cups water

2 cups chopped kale (Or spinach)

Optional: 2 boneless chicken breasts or 4 boneless chicken thighs.

Optional: ½ pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces

1.  Press Sauté on Instant Pot and add olive oil. Once oil is hot, add onion and sauté til softened.

2.  Press Cancel and stir in garlic and ginger while pot is still hot.

3.  Add the sweet potato, tomatoes with their juices, peanut butter, salt, red pepper flakes, quinoa or red lentils, and 3 cups of water.  Lay chicken on top if desired.  Add cut green beans if desired.

No stirring necessary. (The peanut butter will blend in as the stew cooks.)

4.  Secure the lid and move the steam release valve to Sealing. Select Manual/Pressure Cook and set for 10 minutes.  (high pressure; 10 minutes)

5.  When cooking cycle is complete, let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then move valve to Venting to release remaining pressure. When floating valve drops, remove the lid.  (or, it’s OK to just let pressure release naturally all the way down.)

6.  If you used chicken, use a wooden spoon to break the chicken into smaller pieces. It should just fall apart.

7.  Add kale or spinach, which will wilt quickly.

8.  If you want the stew thicker, mash some of the sweet potato against the side of the pot and stir to get a creamier texture.

Posted : 05/07/2020 9:22 am
Share: